Security Bank Corporation has a proud history of financial management expertise, with a proven track record of stability and consistent profitability achieved through an efficient, perceptive and forward-thinking management style. The Bank stands firm as one of the Philippines’ top ten private domestic universal banks in terms of assets, deposits, capital and return on equity.
Established on June 18, 1951, Security Bank, known then as the Security Bank and Trust Company, was the first private and Filipino-controlled Bank of the post-World War II period. Through the years, the bank experienced steady growth and success through our consistent and unflinching commitment to serve clients and stakeholders with milestones such as:
- The late 50s marked Security Bank's branch expansion in various parts of Manila. First among our banking peers, the bank had more branches in the metropolis than any other bank in the country.
- The 60s was marked by the opening of the bank's first provincial branch in Angeles, Pampanga as a part of the bank's goal of a broader, countrywide reach. Throughout the decade, branches were established in various parts of the Visayas and Mindanao.
- In the 70s, Security Bank laid the foundation for a culture of innovation in product development with the introduction of Diners Club, the first credit card franchise in the Philippines. The Bank also introduced to the market innovative trust products and services that served as forerunners of today’s pre-need and common-trust plans.
- In 1991, new majority owners led by Frederick Y. Dy assumed control of Security Bank and Trust Company, infusing a fresh direction for the Bank.
- In 1994, the bank was granted a Universal Bank license and not much later in 1995, Security Bank was publicly listed on the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE: SECB) in 1995 for an impressive initial public offering of Php 1.5B.
- On June 18, 2001, SBC celebrated 50 years of banking in the Philippines, as it continued to live a tradition of banking excellence.
Growing to become the Security Bank of today
From its beginnings, Security Bank has grown to be one of the Philippines’ leading universal banks - providing financial services to a wide variety of client types. Our major businesses include retail, commercial, and corporate banking, and financial markets. Catering to our clients' needs, we also provide a wide range of services: financing and leasing, foreign exchange brokerage, stock brokerage, investment banking, and asset management, that is supported through our specialized subsidiaries. Subsidiaries and affiliates include SB Cards Corporation; SB Capital Investment Corporation and its subsidiaries , SB Equities, Inc. and SB Rental Corporation; SB Forex, Inc.; Security Land Corporation; SBM Leasing, Inc., a joint venture with the Marubeni Corporation of Japan, and Security Bank Savings, whose 39 branches were integrated into the branch network of parent Security Bank. These branches now offer the full universal bank product range to our wholesale and retail clients.
In February 2015, we launched the Bancassurance product in partnership with FWD Life, adding to the robustness of our financial services offering.
Moving towards the future
Truly world-class. Security Bank joined an elite circle of the world’s top financial institutions recognized for global banking excellence when it received two of the most prestigious global banking awards in 2012: Bank of the Year – Philippines by The Banker of the Financial Times of London; and the Strongest Bank in the Philippines by The Asian Banker of Singapore.
Commitment to excellence. Security Bank has been acclaimed with awards and recognition from international and local organizations for product innovation, market leadership, and best-of-class management practices - a reflection of our commitment to continuously provide exceptional value to our clients.
Commitment to serve. Security Bank is committed to supporting various educational and livelihood activities, disaster relief operations and other sustainable programs as part of its corporate social responsibility through Security Bank Foundation, Inc. (SBFI). SBFI’s initiatives promote deeper engagement among Security Bank employees and encourage active involvement in creating positive changes to society.